bluebells

bluebells

Thursday 21 April 2011

Normandy again..

A return to the best birding site in Hampshire.

The stretch of coastline (and lagoons) between Lymington and Hurst Castle. I left at silly o'clock, got there at 8.00 am and wondered around until 3.00 pm on what was a very warm day.. There was always a breeze off the sea - and it was quite chilly at 8.00 am, but once it warmed up, it really warmed up. Hoping to add a few to the Yearlist - the first stop was Normandy Lagoon.. Little Tern and Greenshank were among the crowd. A good start.

A wonder further along and some Whimbrel were present and so was my friend Joe. He'd been on an early morning Sea Watch at Hurst Castle.. and was having a look around Pennington.

We strolled together and picked up a Ruff, Reed Warbler and a Terrapin!! Free range on one of the lakes!

I walked with Joe, back to his car in Keyhaven and I ducked into the pub, It was midday and I had finished my drinks ages ago.. just OJ and Lemonade, but tasted as good as any beer..


From there I made my way back to the car.. this took 3 hours! Its a long walk, and there was a fair bit of stopping to snap Whitethroat, Plovers and a very obliging Dartford Warbler that was consuming a caterpillar.. so pleased with that shot. Sandwich Tern were also perched out to sea. What started as a quiet day got a fair bit noisier when they decided to test a Hovercraft in the Channel, this went on for half an hour or more. As I got back to the car, a quick look in the field and I saw 2 Deer, a further look revealed 2 foxes at the back. 1 sunbathing, 1 looking around.


On the way home, via a Garage for much liquid... I called in at Lower Test Marshes and picked up a Sedge Warbler. So 7 new ticks today and the Yearlist is now on 153.. Happy days, with a hint of sunburn.

Sandwich Tern



A Whitethroat on Blackthorn


The hungry caterpillar meets its match.





Redshank


White Wagtail


Common Tern


Little Tern



Shhhh!


No comments:

Post a Comment