bluebells

bluebells

Monday 27 February 2012

A Summers Day in February

The location of today's adventure was the Gallops of West Ilsley..
Hen Harrier were the target. Midweek someone had listed a pair and the usual Merlin on the berksbirds website. The sun was shining and from a previous trip's experience, there was also the chance of SEOs..  
So why not.

Things were looking up as soon as I reached the Gallop.. 
2 birds of prey, perched on different Hawthorn bushes, but they turned out to be Kestrels..  Loved up Kestrels as it turned out.. and the mood was right for both of them as they got rather friendly.

Continuing my walk up the Gallop and something large was spotted, flying low over the long grass in the distance.. Short Eared Owl..  Happy days!
I took my old camera with me today as I am yet to match the zoom capabilities on my new one.. Everytime (only 4) that I have seen SEOs I've failed to get a decent picture. Today, with 4 flying around I got lucky :o)






Corn Bunting were abundant up there and they posed quite nicely in the last moments of the golden sunshine.. A very pleasant afternoon for February.
  
Corn Bunting

And this is the sunset they were watching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment