bluebells

bluebells

Monday 17 October 2016

Back to the Island... Brownsea

It's been a couple of years since my last visit, so with the promise of good weather another visit was made to Brownsea Island a fortnight ago.
Facebook had been showing me lots of Brownsea 'on this day' shots, so with a sunny day predicted I headed back down there on Monday 03 October. Target - Red Squirrels. 

Arriving an hour early for the ferry, I left at 'Newbury time' not Andover, living closer does make a difference! A bacon roll was in order from the cafe by the Ferry. Perfect. The sunny day I left in Andover was yet to catch up with me, the wind was so strong! Waves lapping up the side of the sandbanks ferry, cormorants  diving right next to the ferry kiosk. Even they didn't want to venture out in to the channel.




 A choppy ferry ride and on the Island by 10:10 a.m. Perfect.

A bit of a speed walk to the hides on the lagoon, don't know why I still do that? I figure I always try to get there early before the crowds build up - It ain't Blashford Ivy Hide, so don't know why.
Seems I need not have rushed. The strong wind means everything is far away, sheltering behind the sea wall. 

A white flash goes by, grab a quick snap and it turns out to be a spoonbill, dropping in to a group of around a dozen little egret.In hindsight, that was probably the biggest number of little egret I've ever seen, but they aren't Spoonbill so I casually dismiss it.
Looking back at the picture I spot a Peregrine perched up on one of the bushes on that island. Lucky, happy, far away, but happy enough with that. According to the Dorset Wildlife Trust, FORTY NINE Spoonbill were on the lagoon at the weekend, but then they buggered off to RSPB Arne.  Maybe this is why I dismiss the big Egret gathering.

A few more pics of Godwits and the Oyks and it's off for a walk around the Villa and woodland hide. All very quiet! I only spot one red squirrel on that part of the island. A great spotted woodpecker is busy feeding on the Villa feeders and a Raven overhead, but nothing else, that I could see in that wind.





Quite a few Oystercatcher! Most I've ever seen!

A quick look around the churchyard on the island, I do like churchyards - and I see a circle of photographers around a load of fallen trees. Always worth a look.. And there they are, Red Squirrels enjoying the hazelnuts one of the photographers are putting down, Is it cheating? Baiting? It's not like putting a stickleback in a fish tank and goading kingfisher, so I don't feel guilty. Click click click.








 The squirrels are getting braver - one camera bag has nuts in and the battle is on!






Standing around taking pictures is quite tiring, so I sit down at an elevated position and before I know it, a squirrel is jumping on my back and looking in my hood! I don't recommend it - lots of warnings of 'squirrel leprosy' on the island, but so far I'm still in tact.  Quick check, yep, still got me nuts.




A quick snap of the Avocet, as I wait for the ferry. The closest I got to them this time.


A good day.. Again.
Thanks for reading. 
Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment