bluebells

bluebells

Tuesday 8 November 2016

Very showy snowies!

If you didn't see yesterday's post, I mentioned going down the see the Snow Bunting at Southsea.
I didn't want to drive all that way (Ok, only 45 miles) and not see them so I came up with a cunning plan...
Head to Romsey first to check if the Hawfinch are there yet, whilst news filtered through on the Snow Bunting. As I was going for them, I suspected they would fly away over night so I was very pleased to see them listed this morning on Hants Birds.

Romsey offered a female Brambling, but sadly no Hawfinch today. I don't really know how often they are there but have seen them once and figured it was worth checking out - a half way stop off that I could easily come home from if needed.

Snow Bunting listed whilst I was there so off to Portsmouth I headed. They have been listed as being near to the bandstand next to Southsea Castle / the D-Day Museum since Sunday, and sure enough, this is where they were today. Tiny birds that had flown all this way, to eat the dirt in Hampshire.

The Hampshire Birding facebook group has been flooded with pics of them and to be honest, all pics look the same - birds eating in the mud.  It's a bit easier to get excited by owls that quarter the meadows in front of you. That said, the Snow Bunting were 'lifers' for me. A bird I had never seen before, and a double plus that it was showing so well. No excuses for not getting a picture. Just a shame the sun didn't come out. We always want more, don't we.






Purple Sandpiper are often listed around the castle, so I had a look for them too.
Completely missed them! Walk past them and was thankfully put right by a nearby photographer. I'm blaming the cold wind and the fact that my eyes haven't stopped watering for a week or so.
My friend Joe had shown me one before on a day trip to Portland. This time four were skipping on and off the rocks, raiding the seaweed for anything good to eat.
Again, snapped in gloomy conditions, facing what ever light there was, but always good to get a few more shots of a fairly rare bird. Click on all the pics for better viewing.






I tried to video the snow bunting whilst heading back to the car.



Happy with the morning's work. Off to KFC to eat a different kind of bird. (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment