bluebells

bluebells

Thursday 19 January 2017

Year-listing in the sun.

Another day off and another adventure.

The frosty start and cold north wind meant a not too early start. 10 minutes of deicing the car and I was on my way to the New Forest at around 8:30 this morning.
The year listing has been going well. I have tried to concentrate a little on the rarer things that potentially wont be here for long. eg. the Cattle Egret and Snow Bunting from last week (or was it the week before?)
I've slowly trickled my way up to 85 on the year list. A sunny trip to Blashford Lakes last weekend brought good ticks in the form of Brambling, Goldeneye, Goosander and Great White Egret. We dipped on the Bittern, but I'm used to dipping on Bittern!

Today I was after a few more coastal birds, and in particular what's far out to sea. A Diver of sorts would be amazing, maybe one of the rarer grebes too?  Sadly my optimism often outclasses my actual Bird ID skills, but it was worth a try.

First stop was the car park of Beaulieu Road Train Station. My (many times previously mentioned friend) Joe had taken me here before for Crossbill, but we dipped that day. I suspected the same today. Difficult birds, Crossbill.

Picking up a Mistle Thrush and Treecreeper just before the car park, I searched all the pine trees, listening out for an unusual call. Sadly all I got were numerous Goldcrest and a Coal Tit.  Hmmmm.

A stroll north, to Shatterford car park (the other side of the railway line) and it was looking to be going the same way. So I cheated...
Playing the Crossbill call from the RSPB website I almost instantly attracted a pair over. They'd come to check the noise out.

I wouldn't dream of playing any calls close to the breeding season, It is not the done thing, but mid Jan I reckoned I'd be ok.
As soon as they flew over, really, within seconds, I stopped the audio file and started taking pics. This was the first decent chance to take pics of Crossbill for me. Ok, I had a juvenile way up in the trees at Rooksbury in the Autumn, but this beats it 'hands down'!

The obliging pair.  The male is red and the female green.








Back in to the car to try and defrost the fingers! The cold north wind was definitely doing its job today!!!

It took about 30 minutes to get to Pennington Lane car park, just enough time to warm up.
The first thing I noted was how wet it was everywhere. A lot of the fields were flooded, which could make it very hide to find any waders etc. as they had a much larger area to search for food in.

The fields were full of Wigeon and Teal. Shovelers doing their thing too, and most noticeable was the massive amount of Pintail there. All looking splendid in the bright winter sunshine. 

I do like Wigeon. It's a sad day when they fly back north for the summer. 







Other than those listed above, who were in great numbers, there wasn't a massive amount of other stuff. An obliging threesome of Snipe at the edge of Keyhaven, but sadly no Dartford Warbler. I think I heard a Stonechat but couldn't locate it.

The low sun made sea-watching difficult from here so I headed back to Fishtail and Butts sea wall. En route a birder told me that they'd just seen a Marsh Harrier and Bittern in that area. Both would be 2017 year ticks. A Bittern would be an excellent one indeed! 
True enough, after a short time the sky had a lovely Marsh Harrier in it.  A bit of a way off, but I got a few pics that prove it was one. A long search of the reedbeds sadly offered no visible Bittern. 
De-ja-vu..  Again.







The sea offered a new tick in the form of a few Red Breasted Merganser but sadly nothing else. 
Many Pintail and Wigeon bobbing up and down on the waves but not the birds I was hoping for. Oh well. Back to the car and drive around to Normandy Marsh.

Not a year tick, but was pleased to see over a dozen Avocet on Normandy. Not sure I've even seen one there before.  



Shelduck, Teal, Wigeon and Pintail, plus a few Redshank and Blackwits, but no (needed) Greenshank today. The plus was the usual Kingfisher working the channel between lagoon and sea defence.





The sea wall defences also offered a Dartford Warbler which showed REALLY well for while, and a couple of Goldfinch eating the seeds on some tweasels. And of course a few more Wigeon and Teal. 










A quick check of Hants Birds and I see there are some Mandarin Duck (8) at Fishlake Meadow. A very rare chance to see these stonking ducks. Can't think of any previous opportunities locally, so on the way home I call in there and gratefully pick up Year Tick number 96!  

Very pleased with how the day went and also how the year list is growing. Year List Here.

 Roll on the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment