bluebells

bluebells

Thursday 17 January 2013

Return of the Bombycilla. (waxwings)..

Ok, me trying to be clever and use Latin isn't a good idea - but they're back!
After hardly any spotted in the South last winter, the Waxwings were back in force this time. 40 listed in Hungerford at 9 a.m. on Saturday 8th December 2011-  It was a quick jump in the car to see if I could spot them.
I've been lucky enough to see Waxwings on a few occasions, but always on a cloudy day or at the end of the daylight as they move across an estate at work.
Today was different. A bright sunny day and I had all the time in the world.

Arriving at the place (A338 rdbt in Hungerford) it didn't take long to first hear then see them. The trills that sound like many little bells being rung and they were perched atop a tree along the A4.  A few shots, but too high to get anything decent, due to the angle.  So I move to the Rowan bushes that they favoured last time in 2010.
Success, despite the attempts of the resident Mistle Thrushm they kept dropping down and grabbing some berries whilst they could. Along with a male Blackcap.

I must have stayed there for around 90 minutes, being joined by moire people with cameras as I waited. If I had a pound for time I answered  'what we were looking at' from passing motorists, I'd have, well,  a few pound...











No comments:

Post a Comment